Messy BBQ Mushroom Burgers | Vegan
This finger-lickin’ mushroom burger is my new favorite grill food! Spring has sprung and I couldn’t wait to dust the cobwebs out of the grill and get to experimenting!
Watch me make this messy burger on YouTube or keep reading…
-active dry yeast packet
-1 tsp. sugar
-2 1/2 c. unflavored nut milk
-2 Tbs. oil
-3 c. whole wheat flour
-3 Tbs. seeds (optional)
-2 Tbs. Cajun seasoning
-2 Tbs. BBQ sauce
-1 Tbs. deli mustard
-1 Tbs. finely chopped jalapeno
-large portabello mushroom cap
For Mushroom Marinade
-1/4 c. BBQ sauce
-2 tsp. teriyaki sauce
-salt, pepper, onion powder, garlic powder to taste
-Start by marinating your mushroom cap in the above “for mushroom marinade” ingredients.
–Make the Buns
- Make your egg replacer according to box directions. You can also make a flax or chia seed egg instead.
- Add the active dry yeast, 2 tablespoons warm water and sugar to a bowl and let sit for 10 minutes.
- Add the egg replacer mixture to the yeast mixture, add your oil, and mix together.
- Mix in 2 1/2 c. flour and optional seeds. Knead for 10 minutes.
- Cover dough with a damp towel or plastic wrap and let rise for an hour.
- When dough has risen, punch down, cut into sixths and roll into balls.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 10 minutes or until crust is golden brown.
–Make the Onion Tanglers
- Finely slice your onion (or you can coarsely grate it). Try to remove as much of the liquid from the onions as possible by squeezing the grated pieces then drying them with a towel.
- Add 1/2 c. of flour and the Cajun seasoning to a bowl. Slowly add about 1/2 cup of nut milk until mixture is thick and sticks to onion pieces.
- Coat onions with mixture and bake on a nonstick pan at 400 degrees for about 6-8 minutes.
–Make the Yummy Sauce
- Combine BBQ sauce, deli mustard and jalapenos. That’s it!!
- Grill the mushroom cap (flip once or twice) until the edges are charred.
- Throw your buns on the grill for a few minutes for a crispy texture.
- Optional: I grilled an Anaheim pepper and added it to the burger.
Enjoy your yummy burger. I guarantee you will fall in love with this messy sandwich. Just make sure you have lots of napkins around!
Try these other yummy recipes: Tofu Tacos, Stuffed Peppers, Veggie Lasagna
Check out my YouTube channel!
Follow me on Instagram! ❤
My Pinterest Page! ❤ ❤